Our Community Tech Support drop-ins are built on three principles:
- Support is best placed where residents are already receiving other help or participating in activities.
- Small group and peer support, not only motivate, but can provide the best environment to learn new things or to get organized without it being too overwhelming.
- Traditional places of learning and refurbished libraries can be intimidating
We try to address these as best we can via our free to access sessions.
Between September and December 2021 we supported a total of 83 residents across 3 regular venues in Crystal Palace, Thornton Heath and Loughborough Junction where we helped with a variety of different challenges including:
- Checking and refurbishing a ‘dormant’ laptop
- Setting up a new iPad and iPhone, transferring data via cloud storage.
- Setting up email addresses or unlocking online accounts
- Storage: moving and deleting files on phones / tablets and laptops
- Learning how to use a device and exploring settings and accessibility.
- Learning how to use word, copying and pasting and formatting.
- Using publisher to create a flyer for a new business start up
- Building confidence around sending and replying to emails
- Creating an account and making a first purchase online
Most importantly, however, we provided a quiet and friendly space to practice and have a little time to learn something new.
Our network of referring partners really help this initiative to work. With regular sign-posting by Age UK both in Croydon and Lambeth, the Living Well Partnership, Croydon BME Forum, Disability Advice Services Lambeth, Croydon Mencap, Harbour Recovery Service and Bromley Well, to name a few, we have a regular stream of newcomers. Many stop for a cup of tea and then continue to come back.
By giving people the time and space to understand their challenges and a gentle push we believe that Community Tech Support is a crucial local service to help people be more digitally included.
We currently provide 3 weekly sessions in South London with more planned imminently.
Weekly Community Tech Support
TUESDAYS 1.30 – 3.30 Age UK Croydon Brigstock Road, Thornton Heath.
THURSDAYS 10.00-12.00 Platform Café, Loughborough Junction.
FRIDAYS 10 – 12 Upper Norwood Library Hub Crystal Palace
We continue to provide remote support and home visits for referrals.